Aeropress Brewing Guide
Despite the fact that coffee remains the 2nd most consumed beverage in the world, and has been around for thousands of years, new ways to brew and consume coffee have been pretty rare. Most coffee brewing methods have remained pretty similar over time. This is part of the reason that the Aeropress is so exciting. The Aeropress is essentially a combination of Espresso brewing and drip coffee; it utilizes natural gravity as well as your own force to quickly brew concentrated, flavorful coffee.
How Was The Aeropress Invented?
Without getting too much into the details, the Aeropress is the 2005 product of an American inventor and engineer. His knowledge of physics allowed him to make a coffee brewing method able to brew coffee quickly and efficiently, without sacrificing taste or flavor. It’s also portable, so you can bring it on camping trips, road trips, or anywhere else you cant bring your regular coffee brewer.
How To Brew Coffee Using An Aeropress
One of the great parts of brewing coffee with an aeropress is how easy it is. This single-serving brewing method is the fastest way to get your coffee without using a big, expensive machine. Apart from a coffee grinder, kettle, and good coffee beans, Aeropress provides you with everything you need.
Supplies You’ll Need:
- Coffee Beans or Grounds
- Coffee Grinder
- Aeropress Set
- Filter Cap
- First off, you’ll want to grind up just enough coffee for how much you plan on making. One serving is roughly 15-20g, depending on how strong you like your coffee. If you buy coffee pre-ground, which we recommend, simply weigh this out. If you don’t have a way to weigh the coffee, one rounded scoop from the provided scooper is about the right amount.
- Next, you’ll want to remove the plunger from the chamber.
- Put the paper filter into the filter cap, and run some warm water through the filter to prep it.
- Twist the filter cap onto the bottom of the chamber.
- Pour or scoop the coffee into the chamber, you can use the funnel so that you don’t make a mess.
- Give the chamber a light shake to make sure the coffee grounds are level. If the coffee isn’t level, it won’t steep long enough and you’ll get weak coffee.
- Place the chamber on top of your mug, or wherever you want your coffee.
- Pour your hot water into the chamber up to the 1-1.5 point on the chamber (you should see these numbers on the side. 175ºF water is recommended.
- Stir the coffee with the provided stirrer for about 10 seconds (See below for cold brew).
- Insert the plunger into the chamber, and press down gently until the plunger reaches the grounds. You’ll feel some resistance which is totally normal.
- Remove the filter and press the plunger until the coffee cake falls out. Throw this cake and the paper filter away and quickly wash out the Aeropress.
- You now have a tasty, concentrated cup of coffee!
Coffee made with an Aeropress will be very strong due to the pressure used in brewing. This means that you’ll be able to play around with the final product and make a variety of coffee drinks!
Fun Coffee Drinks To Make With An Aeropress
The Aeropress is specifically designed to accommodate making cold brew coffee. To make a cold brew using an Aeropress, just follow the steps above with 3 minor changes. Instead of hot water, use room temperature water. Don’t use cold water, as this won’t be able to absorb nearly as much of the coffee molecules.
Next, instead of stirring the water for 10 seconds, stir it for 1 minute. Since room temperature water doesn’t absorb coffee as quickly, the brewing process will be a bit longer.
Finally, once you have the coffee made, add 8oz of room temperature or ice-cold water--depending on your preference.
You can even add some yummy coffee ice cubes to spice it up.
You’ve now got a delicious glass of cold brew!
For this you don’t need to do anything extra. The Aeropress process naturally creates coffee that is very similar to espresso, so feel free to drink it straight--the coffee will already be loaded with caffeine.
While the coffee is cooling (or before you brew it, it’s up to you), put 8oz of milk in a cup or mug and add 2-4 tablespoons of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings. Throw this in the microwave for 30 second intervals until it’s to a temperature of your liking. Then, just add it to the brewed coffee to make a delicious mocha.
Once you have your brewed coffee, add 8oz of warm or hot water.
Just add 8oz of milk (cold or hot depending on your preference), and you’re good to go!
Where Should I Get My Coffee?
Now that you know how to make tasty coffee quickly, choose the best coffee for the job. Here at Amora, we have blends designed for all types of coffee drinkers. Whether you prefer a bold, smoky blend or a balanced, fruity blend, we have what you need. Our premium coffee blends are crafted using a 9-step roasting process to maximize the flavors and aromas of our blends. Even better, we’ll ship the coffee right to your doorstep!